CAVATICA is a data analysis and sharing platform designed to accelerate discovery in a scalable, cloud-based compute environment where data, results, and workflows are shared among the world’s research community. CAVATICA and its partners continuously seek to find ways to collaborate, share, interoperate, and connect with any and all other data platforms in order to empower data across diseases, ages and geography supporting researchers and patients across the United States and throughout the world.
The portal integrates with CAVATICA to authenticate file access and push genomic files from the Kids First Data Resource Portal to Cavatica. Here, researchers and bioinformaticians can create their own workflows or use existing, registered workflows to analyze Kids First datasets. Cavatica users can also bring external datasets into their private Cavatica project space to work with alongside the Kids First Data.
For more information on Cavatica, visit the Fact Sheet here.
Pushing Data to Cavatica Requirements
There are three prerequisites to being able to push data from the Portal to Cavatica:
- Your Kids First Data Resource Portal account must be linked to Gen3/eRA Commons. For information on how to do this, click here.
- You must have been granted access to the datasets of choice through dbGaP. For information on this process, click here.
- Your Kids First Data Resource Portal account must be linked to your Cavatica account. For information on how to do this, see below.
Linking your Cavatica Account
One of the requirements to push data from the Kids First Data Resource Portal to Cavatica is that the user must have their Cavatica account linked in the portal. (This also, by default, means you must have a Cavatica account!)
- Sign into your Kids First Data Resource Portal account.
- Navigate to Settings from the upper right hand corner drop down, under your name.
- Under settings, scroll down to the Integrations section. Locate Cavatica. Click connect.
- Follow the instructions on the Connect Popup
You can register for a Cavatica account here. Cavatica now supports both traditional usernames and passwords AND eRA Commons/NIH account authentication!
Funding your Cavatica Analysis
Each new Cavatica account comes with an initial allotment of compute credits for users to learn the platform and get familiar with running workflows.
We are in initial stages of evaluating cloud credit capabilities to support analysis of Kids First data on Cavatica. If you are interested in performing a larger Kids First analysis, the DRC is able to provide additional cloud credits. To be eligible, please send the following to email@example.com:
- An abstract which describes in summary the research you want to do (up to 200 words)
- A list of Cavatica usernames and email address associated who will use the credits
The DRC will evaluate your request and will contact you back for more details.
Cavatica Support Documentation
For more technical support on Cavatica, please visit Cavatica Docs here: http://docs.cavatica.org/